Definition: Typical batch size output.

Format: Use one of the following:

• 0 – 50 units
  • 50 – 500 units
  • 500 – 5000 units
  • 5000 + units

https://standards.internetofproduction.org/pub/okw#typical-batch-size

Proposal

Suggest changing the to two separate number fields, one for minimum batch size and another for maximum batch size.

New wording could be (current sections 4.15 onwards would need to be renumbered accordingly):

4.14. Minimum Batch Size

Definition: minimum batch size of output.

Format: integer

4.15. Maximum Batch Size

Definition: maximum batch size of output.

Format: integer

Motivation

The current batch size ranges don’t allow for much flexibility for scenarios where a facility might be interested in different ranges. For example if a they are willing to take on small batches (e.g. 10 units of a large product) as well as large batches (e.g. 2,000 units of a small product).

Also, I assume that the intention behind collecting this data is to allow for filtering and decision making about facilities in the database, so having the field as an integer with a custom minimum and maximum would make this easier to implement.

Risks

Any records that have data in this field would have to be migrated, but the migration would take the bottom and top of the selected range as the minimum and maximum so the migration would be quite straight forward

I don’t agree with this proposal as it stands. The motivation wasn’t to find out the smallest and largest batches the manufacturer would deal with - those numbers can be very dependent on a lot of different factors. The objective was to understand at a rough level what batch sizes they typically deal with - which tells you a lot about what their capabilities are geared to.
I’d be interested to find out whether this field has been used in any of the implementations so far and whether we have any feedback on its use in practice?