Welcome to the IOPA forum! Introductions thread

Welcome

Hello and WELCOME to the IOP Alliance Forum - we’re so glad you’re here… especially to you who just joined the forum. :tada: You are encouraged to start by introducing yourself below!

This forum is the place for structured/lasting discussions about the Internet of Production (open infrastructures enabling anyone, everywhere to participate in production).

Who is Here?

We are a global alliance of people and organizations who believe in a future of production defined by decentralized manufacturing and shared knowledge. We are building a foundation to enable this future, a world where people can quickly create and fabricate products made from a combination of locally sourced materials and global designs.

Groups currently represented in this community cover hardware design, design sharing platforms, manufacturers and manufacturing associations, maker and fab lab communities, assistive technology, disaster relief, international development, and open science hardware.

What’s Going On and How Do I Get Involved?

• CALENDAR: Take a look at our calendar of upcoming events for scheduled community calls, working group and project meetings, and special programs. ALL events are open for community members to attend - let us know you’ll be joining us in the event post, or register as needed.

• ADDITIONAL CHANNELS: We also have a slack channel, that some of us use for quick/targeted projects chats and/or for reminders of upcoming events.

• ENGAGE RESPECTFULLY: As you do start engaging in our forum, we kindly ask that you read and adhere to our Code of Conduct. We want to keep this, and all other community spaces safe and enjoyable for all.

The Internet of Production Alliance is currently driven by its team, council, working groups & task forces. (This governance is in process of being redesigned.)

4 Likes

Dear friends,

Greetings from a (rarely) cloudy Cyprus! My name is Haris, I live in Lefkosia (also goes by the name of Lefkosa or Nicosia) and I’m married to the most wonderful wife in the world! (my biggest achievement in life!)

Apart from that, here’s most of my academic output (from the time when I was in academia, however there’s a couple of more pertinent presentations which you may find interesting, for example the latest one was presented with Open Hardware in mind): Gate to Research . I’ve also done some non-academic online, here it is: Exit door from Academia . Apart from that, one thing in life I really love doing is listening to stuff such as presentations and trying to think of hopefully interesting questions to ask. Needless to say, I don’t always succeed.

What I’m here for? I guess just to generally be useful to you whilst having fun, ie doing fun work with lovely co-conspirators (though I may ask for money for my time at some point, at the point I’m not generating income for myself and I have to contribute to the paying of bills!). I hope you noticed the word conspirators just above. The reason is because I do believe there’s something really subversive (subversive of everything that’s rotten all around us) in what we’re doing, and that’s one of my biggest motivations for being here!

Looking forward to much nice action and a proportional amount of nice conversation time!!
Haris

4 Likes

Welcome Haris! It was great to see you in two places on consecutive days - the IOP call yesterday then the Open H/W call today :slight_smile:
I’m a huge fan of doing fun work with lovely co-conspirators - look forward to exploring more what that might look like!

1 Like

Dear @AnnaSera thanks for this, it’s lovely to see you here too!

I guess what I meant by action is nothing complicated, I just mean thinking together and enjoying each other’s company, and the product of that would be nice project and other output ideas - i really do believe that having a nice safe space and exchanging smiles and ideas and undertaking action together may even be sufficient for significant world change :slight_smile:

yes, I’m that naive, hehehe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone, Dauson from Tanzania. I’m happy for being in this platform.

2 Likes

Hi Dauson - :wave:t4: So glad you’re here! Feel free to post questions to any of the discussion threads, posts, projects… we’re a friendly and open bunch. :v:t4:

I’m also glad to answer any questions you may have via direct message - also feel free to hit up @BarbaraSchack , @Raisa2021 , @Jessicang , @max_w , and @kny5 !

1 Like

Greetings everyone,

I am Abdulsalam Suleiman, a Nigerian MSc student at the School of Collective Intelligence, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University in Morocco. I am delighted to be a part of this community and eager to contribute my skills and ideas to solve interdisciplinary problems and provide solutions that will benefit the IoP Alliance.

My team and I are grateful for the opportunity to be R2 Awardees involved in the mapping of manufacturing capabilities across Nigeria. I believe that my participation in this initiative will be valuable in achieving the Alliance’s goals.

Thank you for welcoming me into this community. I am excited to be a part of it and look forward to collaborating with everyone.

4 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Oluwatobi Fakoya is my name, a MSc Student at the School of Collective Intelligence, Mohammed VI Polytechnic University in Morocco. I am super delighted to be part of this great community.

My team (Edu4all) and I are grateful for the opportunity to contribute towards the sustainability and goals of IOPA. We will do our due diligence in achieving the task ahead of us which is mapping of manufacturing capabilities across Nigeria.

Once again, thanks for this rare opportunity.

3 Likes

Greetings to all.

My name is Bolaji Akorede, and I’m an MSc student at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University in Morocco’s School of Collective Intelligence. I am ecstatic to be a member of this wonderful community.

We at Edu4all are appreciative of the chance to support IOPA’s sustainability and objectives. We shall work diligently to complete the objective at hand, which is to map the manufacturing capacities throughout Nigeria.

Thank you again for this unique chance.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
I am Spyros, a team member of Libre Water, an OSH project for solar water desalination. I am currently based in Greece and as an awardee of the OKW R2 Data Awards, I plan to map the manufacturing capabilities in the makerspaces of the country.
Looking forward to working closer with you and making meaningful interactions here.
Spyros

3 Likes

Hi everyone,
My name is Abdulwasiu Tiamiyu, a year 2 Master’s student at the UM6P school of collective intelligence. It’s nice to be here with you all.

My team @Edu4all is grateful for the opportunity given to us by IOPA and we can’t wait to embark on the project fully and see it to completion.

3 Likes

Dear Sarah Hutton

Your welcome email highly appreciated

I’m ready to share and learn from the forum.

With Best Regards

Dauson Msumange
P.O.Box 951, Njombe, Tanzania
info@teachtanzania.org
www.teachtanzania.org

3 Likes

Dear Abdulsalam welcome, School of Collective Intelligence sounds great, mind explaining in one sentence how they mean collective? I’d be very interested to hear!

2 Likes

Thanks.

In one sentence:

Using wisdom of the crowd to solve interdisciplinary problems.

3 Likes

Dear @Abiodun_suleima , sounds excellent, do you think the faculty would be willing to consider creating research together?

Here’s my profile and most of my academic output so far, I’d love to get in touch with people!

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Haris-Shekeris

best wishes,
Haris

1 Like

Felix Holm
Ex Maker Station
Woodstock Cape town
South Africa

Now Flat Rock Studio, Custom design and fabrication studios Flat Rock Studio | Instagram, Facebook | Linktree
M-Club makers groups and dispersed makerspace admin WhatsApp Group Invite

4 Likes

Welcome to the IOPA Forum @Felix ! We are very excited to have you on the IMA programme :slightly_smiling_face:#communities:ima-community

1 Like

Hello Everyone,
I am glad to join this group. I am Martin Oloo of Fabla Winam, Kisumu Kenya. I am in charge of membership at the Association of Countrywide Hubs, Kenya. I am undergoing Fablearn Fellowship 2022.

As an IMA awardee, we are happy to be part of this movement and we look forward to greater outcomes from all the interventions by different groupings.

4 Likes

Hello wonderful people, this is kwaku Effa from the Design and Technology Institute, Ghana.
We recently joined the Innovative Manufacturing in Africa award program and I am personally happy about the fact that our team is about to collaborate with other makers and developers across Africa and the world. My “I am because we are - ubuntu” perspective of life does not allow me to keep quite about knowledge sharing and collaboration so this is one of the perfect things for me this year.

I am looking foward to making very fruitful connection here. I wish us all the best!

3 Likes